PAPA FIGOS WHITE
Producer Notes 2015
DESIGNATION OF ORIGIN: DOC Douro
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Portugal
WINEMAKER: Luís Sottomayor
VARIETIES: 50% Rabigato, 20% Viosinho, 18% Arinto, 7% Códega, 5% Moscatel
The Golden Oriole is one of the rarest of all the birds of the Douro. It is a migratory bird with a bright and attractive plumage. The female Golden Oriole, dressed in green tones, perfectly illustrates this unique wine of Casa Ferreirinha. Papa Figos White is an ideal Douro wine, either for everyday consumption or for special occasions. An elegant wine that is also vibrant, classic and simultaneously modern that reflects the core values of Casa Ferreirinha, the house with the greatest tradition in the production of Douro quality wines and one of the largest world references of this region.
Casa Ferreirinha Papa Figos White 2015 has a bright hue with greenish nuances. Its aroma is intense, with tropical fruits like pineapple and passion fruit, white fruits and mineral notes standing out. It has good volume, lively acidity and is well integrated on the palate, fruity notes with tropical fruits standing out and some minerality. Its finish is extremely harmonious and persistent.
The 2015 wine-growing year was dry during most of the growing cycle, in particular the month of March which registered around 50% less rain than the average for the region. The average temperature between April and May was above normal. Three heatwaves were recorded in June and July, with high temperatures above 40ºC, impacting on the vines and grape maturation. These factors led to the growth cycle being brought forward 1 to 2 weeks, depending on the area. The precipitation values in September were higher than the average for the region, which helped to balance the final maturation especially for the later varieties. The harvest began, therefore, in the first week of September. The grapes presented at the end of maturation very good and balanced levels of sugar, acidity and phenolic compounds.
Grape varieties selected from the high areas of the Upper Douro sub-region were specially chosen for this wine. Good ripening is achieved in those areas while maintaining the desired freshness and acidity. After carefully being destemmed, the grapes are pressed and the free-run juice is separated from the other presses. This is followed by decantation at a low temperature with rigorous oenological control. Once the desired clarity is obtained, alcoholic fermentation is started at a controlled temperature between 16ºC and 18ºC. At this temperature, fermentation takes around 20 days.
After fermentation, about 20% of the batch selected for Papa Figos White 2015 was aged in French oak barrels for three months while the remaining 80% were kept in stainless steel vats. In order to retain the highest possible quality, the wine is bottled following careful finishing stages.
Casa Ferreirinha Papa Figos White 2015 was designed to be consumed young, so its full quality can be enjoyed immediately after placement on the market, remaining at its best for about 4 to 5 years provided it is kept horizontally in a cool, dry place at temperatures between 10ºC and 15ºC.
It does not require decanting and should be opened a short while before being consumed to breathe and develop at its best. Serve chilled at 9ºC-11ºC.
Papa Figos White is a very gastronomic wine, ideal with all types of fish dishes, white meats and salads.